Japanese animation, or Anime, was first introduced in 1960. However, there is debate as to whether or not Anime should be considered a cartoon. Most westerners consider Anime to be another form of a cartoon.
Nonetheless, Japan does not want Anime to be considered as a form of a cartoon. Japan is covered with Anime images, and they use Anime in everyday life. It is part of their culture. Anime is used in Japanese education, marketing strategies, magazines, movies, and books.
So, what’s the difference between cartoon and anime?
Anime (Japanese: アニメ?, [a.ni.me] are Japanese animated productions, and come in all formats, such as television series (such as Dragon Ball and Inuyasha, animated short films, and full-length feature films.)
A cartoon is a form of two-dimensional illustrated visual art. While the specific definition has changed over time, modern usage refers to a typically non-realistic or semi-realistic drawing or painting intended for satire, caricature, or humor.
No matter how you look at it, an anime is a cartoon. The main difference is that an anime is considered a Japanese style of cartoons in the West.
Many English-language dictionaries define anime as “a Japanese style of motion-picture animation” or as “a style of animation developed in Japan.”
However, in Japan, the term “anime” does not specify an animation’s nation of origin or style. Instead, it serves as a blanket term to refer to all forms of animation from around the world (both foreign and domestic). The word “anime” is loan word referring to “animation” or “cartoons,” adapted from the English word “animation.” So, Pokemon is an anime and cartoon both, no matter it is designed for kids or what.
1. A cartoon is an animated film or television program that features superheroes, animals, and child protagonists while anime is a type of cartoon which was developed and made in Japan.
2. Both use the projection of photographed drawings in a fast sequence to give the illusion of movement; while a cartoon is usually aimed at young children anime is aimed at an older audience and adults although children also watch it.
3. The storyline of an anime is more complex while that of a cartoon is simpler.
5. Cartoons have existed since the Middle Ages in the form of drawings made in preparation for other works of art while anime was developed and gained popularity in the 1980s.
- Anime Naruto BORUTO UZUMAKI Jacket Cosplay Costumes
- Price: $60.00
- Fairy Tail Anime Happy Cat Doll Stuffed Toy Plush
- Price: $40.99
- Demon Slayer Kimetsu No Yaiba / Anime Shirt Poster
- Price: $13.90
- HUNTER x HUNTER : best anime 2019 Poster
- Price: $15.82
- Anime - Totoro Poster
- Price: $13.56
- Chino Flower Swing Ver Is The Order a Rabbit? Figure
- Price: $227.99
What do you think the difference is? Let me know in the comments below!
Want to help support this website? You can donate just 3 dollars HERE
Use the link HERE to find awesome Pokemon merch such as plushies, home decor or figures. They even have candy and snacks!
Or you can use one of the affiliate links to buy awesome stuff like this (photos below)...Use the code "gloria" to get 10% off! Just click the Sanrense link below.
SEO Marketing Analyst who spends her time watching anime and reading anything she can get her hands on. Passionate about Disney, Harry Potter and helping those with depression and anxiety.